Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Jim Thompsons House



That was fast. We just got home from Jim Thompson's house. Beautiful, but you are not allowed to take photos inside. We got a few in the garden. Still learning about Thai silk. I didn't know there was much of a difference until a few days ago. When I was looking for some for my mother, I was surprised at the pricing. It ranged from $30 to $120 per meter (a little more than a yard). Because of the pricing, I wanted to learn more to make sure the purchase was wise.
After doing a little research I found out that true Thai silk will have obvious imperfections, that the print will be clear on one side and not the other. The last test was a burn test, true Thai silk will turn to ash when burned...I doubt I will be asking for the vendors to burn some for me to prove it's real..I also highly doubt I will be buying any due to the price.
If you want to learn more about Jim Thompson silk, here is the link http://www.jimthompson.com/index.asp They offer some beautiful, but pricey items in their stores. They had super cute silk toys, but again, the price is more than I am willing to pay.
Well, not much to share about our tour today...we did take our first train ride. I am thankful Tara (Jeff's wife, Jeff is Brett's co-worker) took us along and showed us the ropes or I doubt we would have made it. So many people rushing around, thankful we were able to stay together and keep safe....and we even managed to learn something.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Hello Lisa! I'm glad you have a blog that I can access :)
Emma is getting SO BIG! Brianna still has a letter ready for Emma, but we lost your address ... and now it does not matter because you have moved! Please email me with your contact info.

Have a wonderful day in the Lord!

In Christ,
Joanne