Monday, August 11, 2008

One of These Little Children

We have been less critical about having our clothes pressed since arriving in Bangkok. When I asked Matthew to go get dressed, he came out with a wrinkled pair of shorts on. He was so proud of himself for picking his clothes out, getting dressed and doing what his mom asked him too. When I saw his wrinkled shorts accompanied by his precious face my heart melted. He trusts me to take care of him, he trusts me enough to wear anything that I give him. He believes me, no matter what. This got me to thinking about the children on the street. Often we see children, as young as three, sitting on the ground, in a crowd begging. As we continue to walk, we see the mother watching from a distance. Just the other day we saw a young girl, with no shoes, washing a street sign that advertised an upscale children store....how ironic is that? Many of the street children have beautiful smiles and seem to be content in doing what they were told. In many cases, their mother was their overseeing their actions. The point being, our children trust us and at a young age like this, they trust unconditionally.

As long as I can remember, my heart has had a soft spot for children....I think this statement speaks true for many of us. I feel led to share some things God has made more clear these past weeks...both weighing heavy on my heart. We as mothers, as parents, have a HUGE responsibility with our children and children in general. They need us and trust us. None of us are perfect, but we do all have a sense of right and wrong. We are not to take this trust, this responsibility lightly.

Walking through the red light district we saw a little Asian girl, about Emma's age. She was dressed provocatively, had heavy make up on and was being entertained by a white man older than Brett. We can only assume what was happening there. I highly doubt this child or any of the other street children are their by choice as some have tried to convince me. Children are taken advantage of in many ways, some more in more heinous ways than others. Children trust, whether it is something as simple as Matthew with his wrinkled shorts or something as heart breaking as the little girl in the bar. God loves the little children, so should we. We need to be looking out for the little children, ours and those that are not getting the basic provision, protection, love and guidance that they deserve. The best examples come from the Word of God, we need to soak up these truths and put them into action...in our lives and the lives of those we encounter.

"Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me." Mark 9:37

"Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged." Colossians 3:21

"At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure." Luke 10:21

"And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them." Mark 10:16

"Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord." Ephesians 6:4

"But Jesus called the children to him and said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these." Luke 18:16

Often so many questions, thoughts come to mind. Thinking back to when I first gave my life to Christ, recalling all that was brought before Him...He reminds me how He is active in our lives and in this there is strength and encouragement. Even when answers don't come quickly or in the way I would like or expect them to, we need to trust in His ways unconditionally. This is something that really needs to sink in, how are we to trust in Christ, unconditionally, as seen in the children. How can we truly offer the best to the children if we don't trust in the true source of all good? God allows us to witness and be part of examples on both sides of the fence...I pray we choose to bring life rather than death in the life we have been given.

We wanted the best for Emma when she was a baby and we did try our best, but it was such a feeble attempt in comparison to what we had to offer her after we gave our lives to Christ. He opened doors for us that we never knew were closed. He gave us more love, more patience, more guidance...He gave us Him, which enabled us to be better parents, better people... better children to our Father in heaven. Nothing in life can be done without Him...there is no life without Him, here and now or in eternity.

"And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:3

"As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him" Psalm 103:13

"As a fair exchange—I speak as to my children—open wide your hearts also." 2 Corinthians 6:13

"I am not writing this to shame you, but to warn you, as my dear children." 1 Corinthians 4:14

I so thank God for Him opening our hearts to life in Him. One of the many blessings that came from this, is a stronger sense of right and wrong. I never knew the love I had for my children could become stronger, nor did I know that He would enable me to love strangers so deeply. He teaches so much as we trust in Him unconditionally. Through things that cause a heavy heart in many, Christ has revealed a great promise and great commission....to carry His light into the darkness, again, both in our lives and the lives of those we are so blessed to encounter......what an awesome God we have!

"Even in darkness light dawns for the upright, for the gracious and compassionate and righteous man."
Psalm 112:4

"When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12

"The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned." Isaiah 9:2

"For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light." Ephesians 5:8

"..if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday." Isaiah 58:10

No comments: